Our challenge is conserving and perpetuating the COO (Country 0f Origin) Saluki genetic resource into the 21st Century. The Society Studbook is the repository of function bred Salukis originating in and descending from their original homelands in the U.S.. This preservation is our core Mission.
How is the Society structured?
- SPDBS – Society for the Perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis – is governed by Officers and a Board of Directors elected by the membership. We are a 501 (c) 4 Non-Profit organization dedicated to registering and perpetuating the genetic integrity of Country of Origin Salukis in the U.S., regardless of individual participants’ definitions as to what constitutes their particular group or country of interest.
What is the purpose of the Society?
- The Society is a Domestic Registry recognized by AKC. The Society maintains a registry and Stud Book of Country of Origin (COO) Salukis and their descendants in the United States, which is recognized by the American Kennel Club. The Mission of the Society for the Perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis shall be the preservation, protection, and perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis.
Rescue and SPDBS?
- The Society does not register any Saluki acquired through any rescue organization globally. Salukis acquired from the Middle East through rescue are not eligible for SPDBS registration. Salukis that meet the AKC PAL requirements can participate in AKC Performance Events and are eligible for PAL enrollment. Please follow the link for further information. http://www.akc.org/register/purebred-alternative-listing/If you have a Saluki needing assistance we urge you to contact the Breeder of the Saluki if at all possible. The SPDBS Registrar can help locate the Breeder if the Saluki was registered with us. Otherwise, please contact STOLA (www.stola.org) This organization is well connected and able to respond to situations quickly.
Is my Saluki eligible for registration with SPDBS?
- If your Country of Origin Saluki and/or Country of Origin Saluki descendant meets registration eligibility criteria, the Society can register your Saluki. Those criteria are found under the Registration link.
Do I have to live in the US to register my Saluki with SPDBS?
- The Society registers Salukis resident only in the USA, either born in the USA from parents already registered with SPDBS or imported to the US meeting the requirements for inclusion in the SPDBS Studbook.
How do I register my Saluki with SPDBS?
- All Salukis entering the SPDBS Studbook require three critiques by qualified Judges, and photographs. All imports require DNA on file as well. The process is outlined under the Registration link.
I want to breed my COO Saluki, what do I need to do?
- The Society recommends all breeding decisions be given careful thought. All Salukis should be critiqued and DNA on file prior to breeding. The Society encourages the testing of Thyroid levels and the assessment of hearts via a Doppler with a cardiologist prior to breeding.
What can the Society do for me and my Salukis?
- If your Country of Origin Saluki and/or Country of Origin Saluki descendant meets registration eligibility criteria, the Society can register your Saluki. Members receive a discount on all Registration transactions.
How do I get involved with SPDBS?
- SPDBS has an open membership. We are delighted to accept offers of help on our various committees. Contact the Secretary at
What activities can I participate in with my SPDBS registered Saluki?
- SPDBS Salukis can participate in AKC Fun Matches and Conformation Matches. SPDBS Litters are eligible for the SCOA Futurity. SPDBS Salukis can participate in Open Field Coursing and Lure Coursing with ASFA.