Our challenge is conserving and perpetuating the COO (Country 0f Origin) Saluki genetic resource into the 21st Century. The Society Studbook is the repository of function bred Salukis originating in and descending from their original homelands in the U.S.. This preservation is our core Mission. If you have general questions about the Society, please contact the Secretary at
How is the Society structured?
- SPDBS – Society for the Perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis – is governed by Officers and a Board of Directors elected by the membership. We are a 501 (c) 4 Non-Profit organization dedicated to registering and perpetuating the genetic integrity of Country of Origin Salukis in the U.S., regardless of individual participants’ definitions as to what constitutes their particular group or country of interest.
What is the purpose of the Society?
- The Society is a Domestic Registry recognized by AKC. The Society maintains a registry and Stud Book of Country of Origin (COO) Salukis and their descendants in the United States, which is recognized by the American Kennel Club. The Mission of the Society for the Perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis shall be the preservation, protection, and perpetuation of Desert Bred Salukis.
Rescue and SPDBS?
- The Society does not register any Saluki acquired through any rescue organization globally. Salukis acquired from the Middle East through rescue are not eligible for SPDBS registration. Salukis that meet the AKC PAL requirements can participate in AKC Performance Events and are eligible for PAL enrollment. Please follow the link for further information. http://www.akc.org/register/purebred-alternative-listing/If you have a Saluki needing assistance we urge you to contact the Breeder of the Saluki if at all possible. The SPDBS Registrar can help locate the Breeder if the Saluki was registered with us. Otherwise, please contact STOLA (www.stola.org) This organization is well connected and able to respond to situations quickly.
Is my Saluki eligible for registration with SPDBS?
- If your Country of Origin Saluki and/or Country of Origin Saluki descendant meets registration eligibility criteria, the Society can register your Saluki. Those criteria are found under the Registration link. Questions can be asked at
Do I have to live in the US to register my Saluki with SPDBS?
- The Society registers Salukis resident only in the USA, either born in the USA from parents already registered with SPDBS or imported to the US meeting the requirements for inclusion in the SPDBS Studbook.
How do I register my Saluki with SPDBS?
- All Salukis entering the SPDBS Studbook require three critiques by qualified Judges, and photographs. All imports require DNA on file as well. The process is outlined under the Registration link.
When should I get my eligible Saluki Critiqued?
- Officially, SPDBS has no specific hard rules on age at which a puppy may be critiqued. The Registrar’s committee REQUIRES a Request for Critique document and then contacts prospective Critique Judges. For this reason, we ask that a request for a Critique Panel be submitted when a litter registration is submitted. The Registrar’s Committee determines who will critique, and when that critique happens. Each generation has different Critique judge requirements with the first generation and imports requiring long time Saluki breeders for all three categories (AKC licensed Saluki judge, Saluki Performance judge, long time Saluki breeder). Assembling a panel can take time.
- Generation one and two Salukis that are critiqued under 10 months of age, are usually done so for the purposes of export and are critiqued again under the import rules of their new Country of Standing, consistent with FCI rules.
- Only Generation 3 Salukis are critiqued at a very young age, this due to the constraints of homing the litter and the transition to the AKC Studbook. SPDBS litters are infrequent and a concerted effort is made to have these litters critiqued as a unit before dispersal to their new homes.
- It takes time to do all the needed paperwork required for transition to AKC. It is a VERY big deal to those who have worked, for often decades, to bring forward an Import into the AKC Studbook. Please take the time to carefully read all forms and the accompanying Step by Step guide.
- Our process is approved by AKC, our paradigm is the AKC gold standard for other breeds to use when establishing a Domestic Registry avenue to bring in genetic diversity and it is the model for the AKC Conditional Registration program. We, at SPDBS, remain grateful to all those who choose to take this path of genetic diversity based on Salukis who have only been bred to work in their homelands, and those that give of their time and expertise to fairly evaluate each and every puppy that comes forward.
How long will it take to get my Registration documents?
- Once the Registrar has received all the needed documents, photos, and fees are paid the certificate and pedigree must be generated. Once that occurs all documentation is submitted to the Registrar’s Committee for careful review. You should expect to get an emailed certificate in 4 to 6 weeks. Generally, hard copies are snail mailed the week following the release of the digital certificate.
I want to breed my COO Saluki, what do I need to do?
- The Society recommends all breeding decisions be given careful thought. All Salukis should be critiqued and DNA on file prior to breeding. The Society encourages the testing of Thyroid levels and the assessment of hearts via a Doppler with a cardiologist prior to breeding.
What can the Society do for me and my Salukis?
- If your Country of Origin Saluki and/or Country of Origin Saluki descendant meets registration eligibility criteria, the Society can register your Saluki. Members receive a discount on all Registration transactions.
- The Society provides a connection between the East and the West. Our newsletter often has timely articles about Salukis in the past, from the past, and about preserving that past into the future.
How do I get involved with SPDBS?
- SPDBS has an open membership. We are delighted to accept offers of help on our various committees. Contact the Secretary at
What activities can I participate in with my SPDBS registered Saluki?
- SPDBS Salukis can participate in AKC Fun Matches and Conformation Matches. SPDBS Litters are eligible for the SCOA Futurity. SPDBS Salukis can participate in Open Field Coursing and Lure Coursing with ASFA.